Post Number : MLPP 2023_6SNED0017RP
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station : Dakar
Job Family : Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years, renewable
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 31-OCT-2023
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), the functional authority of the Director of the UNESCO Multi-sectoral Regional Office in Dakar and the Head of Education sector, and the direct supervision of the Responsible of SDG4 monitoring and planning Cluster, the incumbent will support the monitoring of education policies, the analysis and education planning in relation with SDG4 and the processes of the education transforming.
In particular, the incumbent will:
Programme Design and Management
- Assist in the coordination, planning, monitoring and implementation of the Office’s Programme on the SDG4 monitoring and planning with a focus on the monitoring of education policies, analysis and education planning, and the education transformation.
- Assist in the development, the support and the monitoring of programmes and strategies about the Sustainable Development Goal 4 (SDG4-Education 2030), the UN Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF) and UNESCO Country Strategy (UCS) documents, with a mainstream in areas of education policy, analysis, planning and management.
Policy Advice and Technical Assistance
- Initiate and develop policy advice, methodological tools and technical assistance to Ministries of Education and other key stakeholders to implement regional and country-level programme activities, in particular in areas of analysis, planning, monitoring of education policies related to the education transforming and SDG4.
- Develop, implement and monitor research activities, technical assistance projects, capacity development programmes and related funding proposals on policy and technical issues pertinent to education system analysis, education planning, monitoring of education policies related to the education transforming and SDG4.
- Support members states in the preparation of sectoral reviews by strengthening their capacities and aiming to reinforce policy dialogue and the monitoring of education policy and ensure UNESCO’s participation in these sectoral reviews.
- Support member states in the processes of GPE funding.
- Develop the knowledge base and implement dissemination strategies, aimed at expanding and communicating UNESCO’s programs on SDG4 monitoring (regional SDG4 coordination group for West and Central Africa) and on education transformation.
- Mobilize and network, in collaboration with UNESCO’s specialized institutes (in particular IIEP, UIL, UIS, IBE, IICBA), national, regional and international partners, including in the context of the Regional Coordination Group on SDG 4 – Education 2030.
- Manage and participate in the production of knowledge on the monitoring of education policies in Africa, in particular in the context of the monitoring reports on the continental education strategy for Africa and on SDG4.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education policy, economics, public policies, or related fields.
- Advanced training in economics, statistical analysis or planning.
- A minimum of four (4) years of professional experience in the field of analysis, planning and education policies monitoring, of which preferably two (2) years acquired at international level.
- Experience in policy support and capacity development in education analysis, planning, monitoring, and resource projections and information management systems.
- Experience in undertaking quantitative and qualitative analysis and surveys for data collection.
Skills & Competencies
- Analytical skills and ability to collect, synthesize and analyze quantitative and qualitative data from various sources.
- Proven ability to identify emerging development trends and educational needs.
- Ability to provide expert advice to policy and decision makers.
- Excellent coordination, organization and planning skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare, present and discuss findings and recommendations clearly and concisely.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Good statistics skills
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English or French, and good knowledge of the other language.
- Demonstrated experience in design, management and coordination of education plans and strategies at the international level.
- Experience in research pertaining to education policies analysis, planning, and monitoring.
Skills & Competencies
- Familiarity with the work and functioning of the UN System including key mechanisms such as the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), UN Country Team (UNCT), Delivering as One (DaO) and other joint UN Programming and UN inter-agency initiatives.
- Good knowledge of Portuguese.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 99,451 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO Careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.